Assam flood takes 80 more villages under its grip
Guwahati: The flood situation in Assam turned critical on Tuesday as 80 more villages in the worst-hit Dhemaji and Morigaon districts were submerged and standing crops in nearly 1,100 hectares damaged.
Assam State Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA) sources said with the inundation of 80 new villages the total number hit by the current spate of flood has gone up to over 240 in nine districts.
Official sources said so far 75,000 people have been affected by the flood, while the body of a 12-year-old boy, who had been washed away by the high current in Brahmaputra river at Jengpuri in Morigaon district, was pulled out yesterday.
ASDMA sources said flood and erosion have devastated human habitation and crop fields in Morigaon`s Bhuragaon and Mayong revenue circles.
A total of 5,000 hectares of agricultural land with standing crops including rice have been damaged, while over 30,000 animals and poultry are affected by the devastating floods.
Severe erosion by Brahmaputra has rendered 100 families homeless at Jengpuri, Nathgaon and Boralimari under Bhuragaon revenue circles of Morigaon district, the sources said.
Three relief camps have been set up in Dhemaji district, where nearly 1,000 people are taking shelter.
ASDMA sources said six roads, one bridge and three culverts have been damaged in Golaghat district and an embankment each breached at Madanpur and Chandpur in Karimganj district.
In Dhemaji, erosion has started on Khalihamari Butikur Road. Temporary restoration work has been carried out by providing bamboo palisading and earth filled cement bags.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes