Assam floods: Death toll reaches 116, situation alarming
Guwahati: The flood situation in Assam remained alarming with 116 people having lost their lives in flood water and landslides during the current wave as the Brahmaputra and its tributaries continued to flow above the danger mark on Thursday.
Altogether 100 people have died due to floods including 16 in landslides caused by incessant rainfall while 16 others were still missing, official sources said today.
An estimated population of 22 lakh have been affected in the worst ever flood in recent years causing large-scale devastation in 2809 villages in 27 of the 28 districts of the state.
The water level of the Brahmaputra and its tributaries were showing receding trend in some of the districts but in all the affected areas it was flowing above the danger mark.
Road and rail services have been affected in several places with roads inundated or damaged at 2847 places and breached at 1741 points.
Rail tracks damaged by landslides in Lumding-Badarpur Railway division was yet to be restored but the Harangajao to Badarpur section has been already restored.
An estimated five lakh people have taken shelter in 622 relief camps and 120 medical teams have been deployed to provide medical aid.
16 NDRF teams have been deployed for rescue operations in 13 Districts and they include Barpeta, Dhemaji, Dibrugarh, Dima-Hasao, Jorhat (Majuli), Kamrup, Kamrup(Metro), Lakhimpur, Nagaon, Nalbari, Sibsagar, Sonitpur and Tinsukia.
The State Disaster Relief Force (SDRF) has deployed 18 teams and army seven teams in the rescue operations with Indian Air Force also extending help.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31