Assam: Govt doctor arrested for demanding money from pregnant woman
Rangiya: A doctor of a state-run hospital in Kamrup (rural) district was arrested on Monday for allegedly refusing to attend a pregnant woman after she could not pay a bribe of Rs 500 sought by him.
A nurse was also suspended on a complaint by the victim, who alleged her child died due to negligence of the staff.
The woman alleged that she had gone to the Mirza Rural Hospital yesterday for delivery of her baby but the doctor and the nurse refused to attend him demanding a payment of Rs 500 first, official sources said.
The doctor allegedly referred her case to the Guwahati Medical College Hospital after the woman and her husband told him that they did not have any money, the sources said.
The hospital also refused to provide an ambulance to take the woman to the GMCH and while her relatives were trying to rent a vehicle, she delivered on the road and the baby died soon after, they said.
Following protests, Deputy Commissioner SK Roy had ordered a probe into the matter Additional Deputy Commissioner Kamal Baishya.
On the basis of the report, the doctor Golam Mostafa Ahmed was arrested and nurse Ajanta Bora suspended, sources said.
Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma visited the hospital during the day and directed doctors and nurses not to be negligent towards their duty.
"If there is a recurrence of such incidents severe action will be taken," he warned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly