Assam: Govt doctor arrested for demanding money from pregnant woman
Rangiya: A doctor of a state-run hospital in Kamrup (rural) district was arrested on Monday for allegedly refusing to attend a pregnant woman after she could not pay a bribe of Rs 500 sought by him.
A nurse was also suspended on a complaint by the victim, who alleged her child died due to negligence of the staff.
The woman alleged that she had gone to the Mirza Rural Hospital yesterday for delivery of her baby but the doctor and the nurse refused to attend him demanding a payment of Rs 500 first, official sources said.
The doctor allegedly referred her case to the Guwahati Medical College Hospital after the woman and her husband told him that they did not have any money, the sources said.
The hospital also refused to provide an ambulance to take the woman to the GMCH and while her relatives were trying to rent a vehicle, she delivered on the road and the baby died soon after, they said.
Following protests, Deputy Commissioner SK Roy had ordered a probe into the matter Additional Deputy Commissioner Kamal Baishya.
On the basis of the report, the doctor Golam Mostafa Ahmed was arrested and nurse Ajanta Bora suspended, sources said.
Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma visited the hospital during the day and directed doctors and nurses not to be negligent towards their duty.
"If there is a recurrence of such incidents severe action will be taken," he warned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing