Assam govt for ST status to six communities
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today said the state government would continue its fight to get ST status for six communities in the state.
"We`ll go on fighting for the ST status for the six communities. It is a legitimate demand and we support it," Gogoi told reporters here.
"Centre has not rejected the proposal. Only the Registrar General Of India (RGI) has not recommended the proposal," he said.
The chief minister said that the state government would write to New Delhi again on the issue.
Assam government has recommended ST status for Koch-Rajbongshis, Tai Ahoms, Morans, Muttocks, Sutias and tea tribe/adivasi communities on several occasions in the past.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video