Assam govt for ST status to six communities
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today said the state government would continue its fight to get ST status for six communities in the state.
"We`ll go on fighting for the ST status for the six communities. It is a legitimate demand and we support it," Gogoi told reporters here.
"Centre has not rejected the proposal. Only the Registrar General Of India (RGI) has not recommended the proposal," he said.
The chief minister said that the state government would write to New Delhi again on the issue.
Assam government has recommended ST status for Koch-Rajbongshis, Tai Ahoms, Morans, Muttocks, Sutias and tea tribe/adivasi communities on several occasions in the past.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- My mother is like Indrani Mukerjea, she likes having sex with many men: Delhi school boy
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'