Assam govt recommends CBI probe into violence

Last Updated: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 - 14:57

Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Tuesday said that his government has recommended a CBI probe into the clashes in BTAD and Dubri districts where "internal and external forces were at work".

"I have recommended a CBI probe into the incidents and now it is upto the Centre to take a final decision on instituting it," Gogoi told reporters here.

The chief minister said that "both external and internal forces are at work" and hoped that the probe would identify the forces behind the violence.

On complaints that Bangladeshi migrants were in relief camps, Gogoi said, "We have got reports that people from other states and areas near BTAD are illegally taking shelter in the camps. Their antecedents will be checked and we will not allow rehabilitation of outsiders. Only genuine Indian citizens will be rehabilitated."
He said that illegal arms would be confiscated.

173 people have been arrested besides preventive arrests made as and when required, he said.

The chief minister said that 73 people have died so far in the violence, but did not give the break up.

He said that 16 people, including seven children, have died in relief camps.
He said that 65 companies of para-military forces were deployed in the affected districts.

PTI



First Published: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 - 14:57

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus