Assam govt taking measures to check violence: Centre
New Delhi: The Centre on Monday said that the Assam government is taking ample measures to curb any unlawful incident or violence in the state.
"The Assam government is doing everything....Taking all measures to ensure peace in the state. We are trying to do everything to establish communal harmony in the state," Minister of State for Home Jitendra Singh told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
"We appeal to everyone to maintain peace and calm," he said.
Singh said that adequate number of central security forces have also been provided to Assam.
The minister made the remarks after flagging off a 51- member Border Security Force expedition to scale a group of peaks in the Gangotri region.
The peaks, who are located in the Garhwal-Himalaya region of Uttarakhand, form a ring around the Gangotri glacier.
BSF chief U K Bansal introduced the members of the expedition to the Minister who wished them success.
Singh also expressed his desire to join a mountaineering expedition as he too was an "avid climber".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened