Assam govt to approach CBI against cos swindling money
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Wednesday said that his government was ``seriously contemplating`` to move the CBI against some companies, including major groups, for swindling public money.
``Cases are being examined and the government is contemplating handing over some cases to CBI having inter state ramifications``, Gogoi said after a law and order review meeting with senior officials of the Home and Political Departments here today.
He said that 222 cases have been registered so far against 128 companies including Saradha Group, Rose Valley, Unipay 2 U, Jeevan Suraksha, Prayag, Abyss Assam Group Co, Basil International Ltd., Alliance Vision Marketing Pvt. Ltd and Daffodils Group of Companies.
Besides in 17 cases, chargesheets have been filed against 42 persons belonging to 15 companies while altogether 303 persons have been arrested for swindling public.
Nearly Rs 94 lakh in cash have been seized from the arrested and 106 bank accounts with total deposit of Rs 24 crore have been frozen while a number of plots totalling more than 99 bighas, besides buildings, have been identified and necessary steps are being taken p for their attachment.
A Special Investigation Team (SIT) is supervising the cases, Gogoi added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam