Assam govt to set up enquiry committee to find nexus in encroachment
Guwahati: The Assam government will set up an inquiry committee to find out the alleged nexus between officials of different government agencies and encroachers in the state capital, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Friday said.
"We will establish an enquiry committee soon to see the nexus between officials of different bodies. Anyone found to be involved in violating the law will be punished," Gogoi said during a press conference here.
The eviction exercise, which entered its 12th day today, has revealed that hundreds of encroachers were having Guwahati Municipal Corporation`s holding number and also enjoyed electricity connections to their houses.
"I will order the enquiry in the next few days. It will basically look into the anomalies in the last 10-15 years. We cannot enquire all cases as grabbing of land has been going on for 50-60 years in the city," Gogoi said.
On the allegation of administration being partisan in carrying out the eviction drive, the Chief Minister said no discrimination will be done to the people.
"If MLAs have encroached on the water bodies, they will also lose their land. We are determined to clear the channels in the city for free flow of water," he said.
After the eviction is complete on the water bodies of the city, the administration will dredge and fence to protect them from future encroachment, Gogoi said.
In the eviction exercise, started after the worst-ever flood in the city last month, the administration has so far pulled down 1,269 `kachcha` and concrete houses at different areas and cleared nearly 235 bighas of government land.
Kamrup Metro district administration is carrying out the eviction drive in association with Guwahati Metropolitan Development Authority and Guwahati Municipal Corporation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!