Assam govt to set up fund to rehabilitate women, children
Guwahati: Voicing concern over increasing incidents of violence against women and children, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Thursday said the state government will set up a special fund with an initial corpus of Rs 5 crore for rehabilitation of the victims.
Hoisting the National Flag on the 67th Independence Day here, Gogoi said, "Of late, we have noticed an escalation of violence against women and abuse of children...I assure you that crime against women and children will be dealt with very severely."
Anti-human trafficking units have been set up in all the districts, besides creating 30 women cells in sadar police stations to deal with such incidents, he added.
"For rehabilitation of the victims of such violence against women and children, we propose to set up a special fund with an initial corpus Rs 5 crore," Gogoi said.
The Chief Minister said that a specially trained Assam Police women commando force `Virangana` has been raised to deal with crime against women among other issues.
Regarding empowerment of women, Gogoi said the government will provide exclusive women`s banking facility through Assam Grameen Vikash Bank and other scheduled banks.
Under Chief Minister`s vision for Women and Children-2016, the government proposed 16 time-bound goals in areas relating to health and nutrition, education, crime against women and children, income generation through women self help groups, skill development, provision of safe drinking water and sanitation," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Arshad Warsi all set to don director's hat!
- GST Bill: Arun Jaitley to meet state finance ministers on Tuesday
- 'Madaari' Box Office collections: Irrfan Khan starrer mints Rs 5.75 crores
- Narsingh Yadav cries foul after dope test shock, says truth will come out
- CM Mehbooba Mufti favours abrogation of AFSPA from parts of J&K; says if successful it can be revoked in entirety