Assam govt to set up fund to rehabilitate women, children
Guwahati: Voicing concern over increasing incidents of violence against women and children, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Thursday said the state government will set up a special fund with an initial corpus of Rs 5 crore for rehabilitation of the victims.
Hoisting the National Flag on the 67th Independence Day here, Gogoi said, "Of late, we have noticed an escalation of violence against women and abuse of children...I assure you that crime against women and children will be dealt with very severely."
Anti-human trafficking units have been set up in all the districts, besides creating 30 women cells in sadar police stations to deal with such incidents, he added.
"For rehabilitation of the victims of such violence against women and children, we propose to set up a special fund with an initial corpus Rs 5 crore," Gogoi said.
The Chief Minister said that a specially trained Assam Police women commando force `Virangana` has been raised to deal with crime against women among other issues.
Regarding empowerment of women, Gogoi said the government will provide exclusive women`s banking facility through Assam Grameen Vikash Bank and other scheduled banks.
Under Chief Minister`s vision for Women and Children-2016, the government proposed 16 time-bound goals in areas relating to health and nutrition, education, crime against women and children, income generation through women self help groups, skill development, provision of safe drinking water and sanitation," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Aditi and Mohit Malik’s Indonesian vacation will give you honeymoon goals
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today