Assam govt to set up fund to rehabilitate women, children
Guwahati: Voicing concern over increasing incidents of violence against women and children, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Thursday said the state government will set up a special fund with an initial corpus of Rs 5 crore for rehabilitation of the victims.
Hoisting the National Flag on the 67th Independence Day here, Gogoi said, "Of late, we have noticed an escalation of violence against women and abuse of children...I assure you that crime against women and children will be dealt with very severely."
Anti-human trafficking units have been set up in all the districts, besides creating 30 women cells in sadar police stations to deal with such incidents, he added.
"For rehabilitation of the victims of such violence against women and children, we propose to set up a special fund with an initial corpus Rs 5 crore," Gogoi said.
The Chief Minister said that a specially trained Assam Police women commando force `Virangana` has been raised to deal with crime against women among other issues.
Regarding empowerment of women, Gogoi said the government will provide exclusive women`s banking facility through Assam Grameen Vikash Bank and other scheduled banks.
Under Chief Minister`s vision for Women and Children-2016, the government proposed 16 time-bound goals in areas relating to health and nutrition, education, crime against women and children, income generation through women self help groups, skill development, provision of safe drinking water and sanitation," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert