Assam is Cong`s "laboratory of communal experiment": BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Tuesday charged Congress with turning Assam into an almost a "laboratory of communal experiment" by not taking adequate steps to prevent the spread of violence from Kokrajhar in the state and sought an explanation from the Prime Minister on the issue.
BJP, which has already sent its team to assess the situation in Assam, alleged violence-hit people coming to relief camps are being sent away and not accommodated while the Army and Police are not taking action to control the violence which is spreading.
The party also alleged there is no governance in the state as no government representative visited the violence-affected areas.
"The communal riots have spread to more than 11 districts and more than 80,000 people have fled from their homes. Houses were burnt...The information coming from our team says the camps are also sending away people and not accommodating everybody who is running away from their homes," BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said.
"We demand a statement from the Prime Minister, who is an MP from Assam, and the communal experiment of Congress should be immediately stopped. They should face up to the situation and make sure peace is restored at the earliest," Sitharaman said.
She also alleged the Army and the police are all there but are "just marking their presence" and not initiating action to control violence from spreading.
"Assam, we know, has been almost a laboratory for the Congress party`s communal experiments," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand