Assam journalists protest, boycott AAMSU for three months
Guwahati: Media associations in Assam on Thursday decided to boycott all news related to All Assam Muslim Students Union (AAMSU) for three months in protest against the attack on scribes by its members during the August 28 bandh called by the organisation.
A meeting of ten media associations held at Guwahati Press Club here also took the unanimous decision to ask AAMSU leadership to tender a public apology.
It also appealed to editors of newspapers and news channels not to entertain any kind of articles or speeches by AAMSU leaders and members during the period.
Press clubs, press guilds, journalist organizations were also asked not to support any kind of press meets organized by the AAMSU leaders and its members.
The recent Assam bandh by AAMSU, held to press the demand for scrapping Bodoland Territorial Council and arrest of its chief Hagrama Mohilary, witnessed violence in several parts of the state with about ten working journalists attacked and severely injured by bandh supporters in Goalpara, Barpeta, Samaguri and Tezpur.
In another resolution, the media organisations decided to organize protest demonstrations throughout the state on September one.
A letter highlighting the grievances of the journalists was sent to Assam Director General of Police Jayanta Narayan Chowdhury urging him to take a personal interest in the matter and nab the culprits who attacked the journalists.
The meeting was attended by representatives of Journalist Action Committee, Assam Tribune Employees Union, Guwahati Press Club, Journalists, Forum Assam, Assam Union of Working Journalists, Electronic Media Forum Assam, Journalist Action Committee, Journalists, Union of Assam, Assam Photo Journalist Association and National Federation of Newspaper Employees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical