Assam journalists protest, boycott AAMSU for three months
Guwahati: Media associations in Assam on Thursday decided to boycott all news related to All Assam Muslim Students Union (AAMSU) for three months in protest against the attack on scribes by its members during the August 28 bandh called by the organisation.
A meeting of ten media associations held at Guwahati Press Club here also took the unanimous decision to ask AAMSU leadership to tender a public apology.
It also appealed to editors of newspapers and news channels not to entertain any kind of articles or speeches by AAMSU leaders and members during the period.
Press clubs, press guilds, journalist organizations were also asked not to support any kind of press meets organized by the AAMSU leaders and its members.
The recent Assam bandh by AAMSU, held to press the demand for scrapping Bodoland Territorial Council and arrest of its chief Hagrama Mohilary, witnessed violence in several parts of the state with about ten working journalists attacked and severely injured by bandh supporters in Goalpara, Barpeta, Samaguri and Tezpur.
In another resolution, the media organisations decided to organize protest demonstrations throughout the state on September one.
A letter highlighting the grievances of the journalists was sent to Assam Director General of Police Jayanta Narayan Chowdhury urging him to take a personal interest in the matter and nab the culprits who attacked the journalists.
The meeting was attended by representatives of Journalist Action Committee, Assam Tribune Employees Union, Guwahati Press Club, Journalists, Forum Assam, Assam Union of Working Journalists, Electronic Media Forum Assam, Journalist Action Committee, Journalists, Union of Assam, Assam Photo Journalist Association and National Federation of Newspaper Employees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'