Assam: Junior doctor killed after suspected failed rape attempt, ward boy arrested
Zee Media Bureau
Guwahati: A 24-year-old junior doctor, Sarita Tashniwal, was killed in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of Assam Medical College and Hospital after a suspected failed rape attempt by a ward boy on Friday.
The accused, Tiru Mech, has been arrested by the police after “fresh” scratch marks visible on his face were seen as evidence of struggle with the victim.
According to the police, Sarita was working in the night shift when she was attacked and killed.
Mech reportedly confessed to the police that he unsuccessfully attempted to rape the victim after she misbehaved with him. He then killed her after attacking her with a surgical knife.
Tashniwal`s body was discovered by the nurses on early Saturday morning.
The victim was due to get married on July 7 and was pursuing her MD course in obstetrics and gynaecology.
Police are now checking the CCTV footage and ascertaining whether there were more than one accused involved in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered