Assam: Junior doctor killed after suspected failed rape attempt, ward boy arrested
Zee Media Bureau
Guwahati: A 24-year-old junior doctor, Sarita Tashniwal, was killed in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of Assam Medical College and Hospital after a suspected failed rape attempt by a ward boy on Friday.
The accused, Tiru Mech, has been arrested by the police after “fresh” scratch marks visible on his face were seen as evidence of struggle with the victim.
According to the police, Sarita was working in the night shift when she was attacked and killed.
Mech reportedly confessed to the police that he unsuccessfully attempted to rape the victim after she misbehaved with him. He then killed her after attacking her with a surgical knife.
Tashniwal`s body was discovered by the nurses on early Saturday morning.
The victim was due to get married on July 7 and was pursuing her MD course in obstetrics and gynaecology.
Police are now checking the CCTV footage and ascertaining whether there were more than one accused involved in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video