Assam killings: Gogoi, Tuki seek Central inquiry
Guwahati/Itanagar: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has decided to recommend for a CBI probe into the killings of 10 persons by unidentified men while his Arunachal Pradesh counterpart said he would seek an independent inquiry by the Union Home Ministry.
Gogoi decided to seek a CBI enquiry after a high-level meeting with the Army, Intelligence and senior police officials at Tezpur today.
The Chief Ministers of the two states also spoke to each other over phone during the day on the killing of 10 CPI(ML) supporters at Chauldhuwa village at Behali Reserve Forest yesterday.
"It`s unfortunate. I have discussed the issue with Arunachal Pradesh CM," Gogoi said.
He also announced a compensation of Rs five lakh to the families of those killed and the government would bear the medical expenditure of those injured.
He said that border outpost would be set up on the inter-state boundary immediately and Army personnel along with state police would patrol the area.
In Itanagar, Tuki said that he would write to the Union Home Ministry for an independent enquiry into the killings.
"I am going to plead the Union Ministry of Home Affairs to institute an independent enquiry into the incident," he said in a release.
"I condemn the incident in the strongest words and law should take its own course. It is really trying times for both the states. The pain is equal for all of us as the incident is highly condemnable," he added.
Arunachal Pradesh Governor Lt Gen Nirbhay Sharma has appealed to the people of his state and Assam to maintain peace and harmony.
BJP national Vice-President Bijoya Chakravarty led a team of party workers to Behali and condemn the incident.
Meanwhile in Assam, an indefinite economic blockade was announced by a number of organisations to protest the killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video