Assam: KMSS leader Akhil Gogoi arrested
Guwahati: Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti leader and a key member of Team Anna, Akhil Gogoi along with a group of his supporters was arrested here on Monday for
blocking roads near the high security Assam state secretariat.
Gogoi and his KMSS supporters had been permitted to sit on a dharna at the Last Gate near the secretariat in demand of permanent land ownership rights documents for squatters in the Guwahati area.
A group of agitationists, however, blocked the roads in the area disrupting traffic.
"The KMSS had been given permission to only hold a protest and not block the roads. Police had to step in to clear the blockade and Gogoi was arrested for hindering the police from carrying out its legal duty," Inspector General of
Police (Central and Western Range) J P Singh said.
The police also accused Gogoi of violence and threatening public peace.
"He kicked a senior officer, a DSP, when he was put under arrest. This is an attempt to murder," city Senior Superintendent of Police Apurba Jibon Barua said.
He said the police had taken preventive measures to prevent any loss to public properties.
KMSS supporters, however, are continuing with the dharna at the Last Gate area. It may be mentioned that a similar protest by the KMSS last year had turned violent leading to death of three people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day