Assam: KMSS leader Akhil Gogoi arrested
Guwahati: Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti leader and a key member of Team Anna, Akhil Gogoi along with a group of his supporters was arrested here on Monday for
blocking roads near the high security Assam state secretariat.
Gogoi and his KMSS supporters had been permitted to sit on a dharna at the Last Gate near the secretariat in demand of permanent land ownership rights documents for squatters in the Guwahati area.
A group of agitationists, however, blocked the roads in the area disrupting traffic.
"The KMSS had been given permission to only hold a protest and not block the roads. Police had to step in to clear the blockade and Gogoi was arrested for hindering the police from carrying out its legal duty," Inspector General of
Police (Central and Western Range) J P Singh said.
The police also accused Gogoi of violence and threatening public peace.
"He kicked a senior officer, a DSP, when he was put under arrest. This is an attempt to murder," city Senior Superintendent of Police Apurba Jibon Barua said.
He said the police had taken preventive measures to prevent any loss to public properties.
KMSS supporters, however, are continuing with the dharna at the Last Gate area. It may be mentioned that a similar protest by the KMSS last year had turned violent leading to death of three people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- Invoking Ambedkar's legacy, PM Modi says no rethink on quotas as Sena boycotts his events in Mumbai