Assam: KMSS leader Akhil Gogoi arrested
Guwahati: Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti leader and a key member of Team Anna, Akhil Gogoi along with a group of his supporters was arrested here on Monday for
blocking roads near the high security Assam state secretariat.
Gogoi and his KMSS supporters had been permitted to sit on a dharna at the Last Gate near the secretariat in demand of permanent land ownership rights documents for squatters in the Guwahati area.
A group of agitationists, however, blocked the roads in the area disrupting traffic.
"The KMSS had been given permission to only hold a protest and not block the roads. Police had to step in to clear the blockade and Gogoi was arrested for hindering the police from carrying out its legal duty," Inspector General of
Police (Central and Western Range) J P Singh said.
The police also accused Gogoi of violence and threatening public peace.
"He kicked a senior officer, a DSP, when he was put under arrest. This is an attempt to murder," city Senior Superintendent of Police Apurba Jibon Barua said.
He said the police had taken preventive measures to prevent any loss to public properties.
KMSS supporters, however, are continuing with the dharna at the Last Gate area. It may be mentioned that a similar protest by the KMSS last year had turned violent leading to death of three people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note