Assam: KMSS leader Akhil Gogoi arrested
Guwahati: Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti leader and a key member of Team Anna, Akhil Gogoi along with a group of his supporters was arrested here on Monday for
blocking roads near the high security Assam state secretariat.
Gogoi and his KMSS supporters had been permitted to sit on a dharna at the Last Gate near the secretariat in demand of permanent land ownership rights documents for squatters in the Guwahati area.
A group of agitationists, however, blocked the roads in the area disrupting traffic.
"The KMSS had been given permission to only hold a protest and not block the roads. Police had to step in to clear the blockade and Gogoi was arrested for hindering the police from carrying out its legal duty," Inspector General of
Police (Central and Western Range) J P Singh said.
The police also accused Gogoi of violence and threatening public peace.
"He kicked a senior officer, a DSP, when he was put under arrest. This is an attempt to murder," city Senior Superintendent of Police Apurba Jibon Barua said.
He said the police had taken preventive measures to prevent any loss to public properties.
KMSS supporters, however, are continuing with the dharna at the Last Gate area. It may be mentioned that a similar protest by the KMSS last year had turned violent leading to death of three people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read