Assam Minister files defamation case against Saradha
Guwahati: Assam Health and Education Minister Himanta Biswa Sarmah filed a criminal defamation case against ponzi scheme Saradha Group and its chairman Sudipta Sen on Saturday for allegations against him in a purported letter to CBI.
Sarmah is the first person in the country to initiate legal action against Sen although names of several politicians and businessmen figured in the purported letter to CBI after the chitfund company went bust.
The minister filed the case in the court of Kamrup First Class Magistrate Ipsita Borthakur under various sections of the IPC alleging that Sen had made false and defamatory allegations which has harmed his political and personal reputation.
The magistrate recorded the statement of the minister, who highlighted the allegations made by Sen in the purported letter to CBI that Sarmah had received some money from Saradha Group by signing vouchers.
``This is totally false, baseless and such allegations have damaged my reputation in public life and, therefore, I am filing the criminal defamation suit,`` he said.
Sarmah said he had sent a legal notice to Sen on the matter on April 26 but as there was no response the case was being filed.
The court accepted his statement and ordered a magisterial inquiry under the provisions of Section 202 Cr PC and fixed June 16 as the next date of hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore