Assam minister`s visit along Mizoram-Assam border leads to tension
Aizawl: There was tension in areas along the Mizoram-Assam border last evening when Assam`s Minister of state for Border and Co-operative Societies Siddique Ahmed Majumdar went up to the police checkgate in the border town of Vairengte with a large number of villagers.
Mizoram police officials said on Monday that around 50 villagers from Lailapur in Assam preceded Majumdar`s entourage on two-wheelers in an alleged attempt to enter the Mizoram police`s check gate at Vairengte.
While the minister`s car turned back before reaching the police checkgate some Lailapur villagers reached it and were stopped by Mizoram police and local residents.
Majumdar had earlier assured residents of Lailapur that a meeting between deputy commissioners Cachar (Assam) and Kolasib (Mizoram) would be held on October five at Silchar, to discuss the demands of the villagers.
The move angered NGOs in Mizoram and around 40 members of the Mizo Zirlai Pawl or the Mizo students federation led by its President James Thanghmingmawia intended to go to Vairengte this evening and consult the students and NGOs of the town.
Meanwhile, the All Barak Youth Students Association which had launched a blockade of NH-54 the lifeline of Mizoram for three days since September 26 announced that they would continue with it from 6:00 am today also.
The road blockade by the ABYSA evoked strong reactions in Mizoram with political parties and NGOs condemning it as an attempt to economically strangulate the state and against the ruling of the Supreme Court which prohibited blockade of national highways.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo