Assam minister`s visit along Mizoram-Assam border leads to tension
Aizawl: There was tension in areas along the Mizoram-Assam border last evening when Assam`s Minister of state for Border and Co-operative Societies Siddique Ahmed Majumdar went up to the police checkgate in the border town of Vairengte with a large number of villagers.
Mizoram police officials said on Monday that around 50 villagers from Lailapur in Assam preceded Majumdar`s entourage on two-wheelers in an alleged attempt to enter the Mizoram police`s check gate at Vairengte.
While the minister`s car turned back before reaching the police checkgate some Lailapur villagers reached it and were stopped by Mizoram police and local residents.
Majumdar had earlier assured residents of Lailapur that a meeting between deputy commissioners Cachar (Assam) and Kolasib (Mizoram) would be held on October five at Silchar, to discuss the demands of the villagers.
The move angered NGOs in Mizoram and around 40 members of the Mizo Zirlai Pawl or the Mizo students federation led by its President James Thanghmingmawia intended to go to Vairengte this evening and consult the students and NGOs of the town.
Meanwhile, the All Barak Youth Students Association which had launched a blockade of NH-54 the lifeline of Mizoram for three days since September 26 announced that they would continue with it from 6:00 am today also.
The road blockade by the ABYSA evoked strong reactions in Mizoram with political parties and NGOs condemning it as an attempt to economically strangulate the state and against the ruling of the Supreme Court which prohibited blockade of national highways.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says