Assam MLAs` salaries, benefits to go up by over 90%
Guwahati: Assam government Wednesday proposed to hike the salaries and allowances of Chief Minister, Ministers, Speaker, Deputy Speaker, Leader of Opposition and all present and former MLAs by over 90 per cent with immediate effect.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Nilamani Sen Deka tabled five amendment bills in this regard in the Assam Assembly on behalf of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, who also holds the Finance portfolio.
Considering the proposed revised allowances, the government has to bear a total additional burden of Rs 9.98 crore every year.
According to The Assam Legislative Assembly Members` Salaries, Allowances and Pensions (Amendment) Bill, 2014, total remuneration of a sitting MLA would go upto Rs 1,83,824 from the existing Rs 96,600.
This amount was excluding the daily allowance and Assembly sitting allowance per day, the Bill mentioned.
The daily Assembly sitting allowance has been proposed to raise to Rs 1,500 from the existing Rs 1,000.
The daily allowance for an MLA was proposed to be increased to Rs 2,000 from Rs 1,500 for outside the state, while it would go up to Rs 1,500 from Rs 1,000 for within the state.
Of the total remuneration of each MLA, the salary would rise to Rs 60,000 from Rs 40,000, constituency allowance to Rs 10,000 from Rs 5,000, upper limit of travelling facility would be more than double to Rs 1,00,000 from Rs 40,000 and conveyance allowance to rise to Rs 13,824 from Rs 11,600.
In case of the Chief Minister, the new salary would be Rs 90,000 instead of the current Rs 65,000, as per The Assam Ministers`, Ministers` of State and Deputy Ministers` Salaries and Allowances (Amendment) Bill, 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Attack on American University in Afghanistan leaves 13 dead
- Confirmed! Ranveer Singh to play Khilji in 'Padmavati' opposite Deepika Padukone—Deets inside
- BJP seeks FIR against Akhilesh, police officers for lathicharge
- Waarrior Savitri movie review: Ineffective and unimpressive
- Shatrughan Sinha lauds Sonakshi's devotion to work