Assam: One killed, Seven injured in Sibsagar blast
Sibsagar: One person was killed and seven others were injured when a blast rocked this town in Assam on Monday.
Police said the blast, suspected to be caused by an IED, was triggered between Central Market and Lakshmi talkies in the heart of the headquarters town of Sibsagar district at 9 pm.
Eight people were hurt and taken to Sibsagar Civil Hospital or another private hospital nearby and one of the injured Nirod Das (32) later died at the civil hospital.
Glass panes of some nearby constructions were broken by the impact of the blast.
The blast could have caused higher casualty had it taken place an hour ago when the place was teeming with people.
Army and security personnel visited the spot.
Police sources said the blast was caused by a programmable time device that was attached to a motorcycle.
One of the seven injured was referred to Assam Medical College in Dibrugarh town in critical condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan