Assam panchayat polls: 2 killed in firing, curfew imposed
Dhubri: Two persons were on Friday killed and 11 others seriously injured in firing by security men and clashes at a panchayat vote counting centre in Assam`s Hatsingimari subdivision where indefinite curfew has been imposed.
"Indefinite curfew has been imposed in Hatsingimari subdivision and counting of votes stopped there," district deputy commissioner Kumud Kalita told a news agency.
The supporters of contestants attacked police and BSF men at a counting centre in Hatsingimari subdivision, under Mancachar assembly constituency in Dhubri district, alleging that the the process for counting was delayed, official sources said.
The angry supporters attacked the security personnel by pelting stones at them and the vote counting personnel leading to a chaotic situation, the sources said.
The irate protesters were lathicharged but when the situation turned violent, security forces opened fire to quell the mob.
Two persons died on the spot and seven others were critically wounded, sources said and added four security men were also seriously wounded in the clash and admitted to hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!