Assam: Police official suspended after man dies in custody
Guwahati: A 55 year-old man, picked up in connection with the July 4 clash between two communities at Kallain in Assam`s Cachar district, died in police custody on Friday night leading to the suspension of a police official.
Ajijur Rahman, picked up last night and taken to Kallain police station, had complained of uneasiness and was taken to the local hospital. He was referred to Silchar Medical College Hospital but died on the way, Cachar suprintendent of police Diganta Bora told a news agency over phone from Silchar.
Bora said IPS probationer Y T Gyatso, who led the team which picked up Rahman, has been relieved of duty.
Rahman`s family members had filed an FIR at Kallain police station.
The clash took place at Kallain and adjacent areas during the 12-hour Barak valley bandh by Hindu Jagran Manch that left 22 injured and led the administration to clamp an indefinite curfew, which was lifted yesterday.
The bandh was called to protest harassment in the name of search for those who had assaulted Congress MLA Rumi Nath and her second husband on June 29 in Karimganj.
All India United Democratic Front MLA of Katigora assembly constituency, Ataur Rahman Majarbhuyan has demanded action against the police for picking up Rahman who was in frail health.
He also demanded Rs 20 lakh as compensation for the victim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics