Assam police to get Special Highway Patrol unit
Guwahati: Assam government has decided to set up a special Highway Patrol unit of the Assam Police to deal with accidents and crimes on National Highways, an official release said here today.
The decision was taken at a law and order review meeting convened by Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi with Assam DGP Khagen Sarma and other senior police officials last night.
"In view of the rising accident related cases, the meeting decided to create a special Police Highway Patrol to deal with emergency accident cases as well as crimes on the National Highways," the statement said.
Sarma informed the meeting that the accident prone areas have been identified and highway patrolling would be focused on these areas.
The meeting also discussed about the time limit for disposal of verification cases by police across the state. "An action plan has been chalked out to bring down the number of verification cases in all the districts by August 15 this year," it said.
Almost one lakh verification cases are received by the police annually in the state and Sarma said the process is on to bring down the cases of verification in some districts of the state.
"The Chief Minister asked the senior police officials to initiate measures to clear the huge backlog of cases in the different police stations across the state to a reasonable level within the next six months," the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail