Assam power crisis to continue
Guwahati: Assam is reeling under a severe power crisis since May 2 after a storm damaged a transmission line in West Bengal`s Jalpaiguri district.
The state`s power department Tuesday warned that the crisis would continue for the next four to five days. Reduced power generation in state-owned and central hydel and thermal power stations had compounded the problem, it said.
"The situation has led to a shortfall of about 400 MW of power required daily during the peak hours in the state," said an official of the Assam State Electricity Board, who did not want to be named.
The official said work was on to restore the transmission line.
"Assam needs about 1,100 MW during peak hours. But only 700 MW is available at present, leading to frequent power cuts" said the official.
"The line, which transmitted about 35 percent of Assam`s power requirement from West Bengal, was badly damaged in a storm on the night of May 2. Two major power transmission towers were also damaged. This has resulted in a complete breakdown of the power line that transmitted around 300 MW to Assam," said the official.
"Add to this the shortage in gas to thermal power stations and lack of water supply to hydel stations due to the absence of rain. They are as such generating power at reduced rates," the official said.
"We are in touch with the power department in West Bengal for the restoration of the line. However, it is likely to take at least four to five day. They are finding it difficult to restore the line as the area is densely-populated," said the official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA