Assam power crisis to continue
Guwahati: Assam is reeling under a severe power crisis since May 2 after a storm damaged a transmission line in West Bengal`s Jalpaiguri district.
The state`s power department Tuesday warned that the crisis would continue for the next four to five days. Reduced power generation in state-owned and central hydel and thermal power stations had compounded the problem, it said.
"The situation has led to a shortfall of about 400 MW of power required daily during the peak hours in the state," said an official of the Assam State Electricity Board, who did not want to be named.
The official said work was on to restore the transmission line.
"Assam needs about 1,100 MW during peak hours. But only 700 MW is available at present, leading to frequent power cuts" said the official.
"The line, which transmitted about 35 percent of Assam`s power requirement from West Bengal, was badly damaged in a storm on the night of May 2. Two major power transmission towers were also damaged. This has resulted in a complete breakdown of the power line that transmitted around 300 MW to Assam," said the official.
"Add to this the shortage in gas to thermal power stations and lack of water supply to hydel stations due to the absence of rain. They are as such generating power at reduced rates," the official said.
"We are in touch with the power department in West Bengal for the restoration of the line. However, it is likely to take at least four to five day. They are finding it difficult to restore the line as the area is densely-populated," said the official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation