Assam Rifles calls allegations against its personnel baseless
Guwahati: Assam Rifles on Saturday claimed that allegations against its personnel of harassing and torturing an arrested resident of Jiribam in Manipur was `false and baseless`.
M Bijen Singh was apprehended by troops of 22 Assam Rifles on January 15 as he was an active RPF-PLA cadre and had identified himself as a self styled sergeant major of the banned outfit and was handed over to Jiribam police station on the same day following the filing of an FIR, a statement issued by Assam Rifles said today.
The man is currently a member of Jiribam Municipal Council and has accepted that he still has links with PLA and is working for the outfit, the statement said.
Local residents had alleged that Singh was innocent and had been allegedly severely beaten up while in custody of AR, who had picked him up from Jiribam on January 14 for questioning. He was later admitted to the community health center(CHC) at Jiribam.
The AR statement, however, said the man had been admitted to the CHC as he complained of giddiness and not due to any assault or torture by the security forces.
"It is further clarified that the medical case sheet in respect of M Bijen Singh certified by doctors at CHC, clearly state that there are no signs of external injury on the individual.
"Reports of the local people chasing away AR troops and the police firing tear gas shells was factually incorrect and was intended to mislead the people from the actual facts and truth," the statement said.
On January 15 a mob of local residents of Jiribam had stopped AR vehicles, dragged out Singh and chased the security personnel when they went to hand over Singh to the police, who rushed to the spot and burst tear gas shells to control the situation, according to reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`