Assam Rifles` Haiti contingent returns
Shillong: A contingent of Assam Rifles which distinguished itself in maintaining law and order and providing humanitarian aid to the people devastated by the
earthquake of January 2010 have returned after a year of duty.
Altogether 160 men of the Assam Rifles took part in the UN mission as part of the world peace-keeping force in the quake-hit Carribean country, an official release said.
The contingent also played a significant role in conduct of peaceful elections in Haiti in October-November, 2010.
Though the UN Missions are generally for five years, the contingent was replaced by another from the Assam Rifles on July 2 in order to give opportunity to more personnel.
Addressing the contingent today, Assam Rifles Director General Lt Gen Rameshwar Roy lauded their service and asked them to put to use all the good they learnt during their tour of duty.
Lt Gen Roy said he had been receiving communications from top UN officials, Haitian government officials and the Indian ambassador to Haiti, Dominican Republic and Cuba about the service provided by the Assam Rifles contingent.
The UN Mission is Haiti comprised both military and police contingents from 52 nations and has a total strength of 14000 personnel, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon