Assam Rifles nab five persons, recover explosives
Haflong: Five persons, including an activist of HNLC insurgent group, were arrested and a huge quantity of explosives recovered from a vehicle from Dima Hasao Hills district of Assam on Thursday.
Official sources said the five travelling in a SUV were apprehended after the vehicle was intercepted at Jatinga town on the Silchar-Haflong road in the early hours.
Seven detonators, eight gelatin sticks and five mobile handsets were recovered from them.
Another occupant, however, managed to escape.
One of the captured persons is a member of the Meghalaya-based insurgent group Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC), while the others are gun-runners.
Security forces suspect that the explosives were being transported for disrupting the New Year celebrations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok