Assam riots: `Only genuinely displaced people to be rehabilitated`
Guwahati: Assam government on Friday said only genuinely displaced people in the recent clashes between Bodos and migrants would be rehabilitated in the affected BTAD and Dhubri districts.
"The attention of the state government has been drawn to the fact that there is an apprehension among people that people who were not displaced during the recent happenings in the BTAD area will also be rehabilitated in those districts," an official statement said here.
"The government wants to make it clear that only the genuinely displaced people of the area will be rehabilitated and there is no need of any apprehension that anyone who was not displaced during the recent incidents will be rehabilitated in the area," it said.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had announced that the August 15 was fixed as deadline to send back the inmates of the relief camps to their homes.
Meanwhile, situation in the three trouble-torn BTAD districts and Dhubri, where recent violence claimed 56 lives, was fast returning to normal.
Flag-march by army and patrolling by police and para-military was continuing with security pickets being set up in the affected areas.
In Kokrajhar, 19 fixed security pickets have been set up with 15 in Chirang, four in Dhubri and six in Bongagaigaon districts so far.
A delegation of Jamatia Islamia, National Integration Council along with several other organisations have visited Kokrajhar and urged the state government and the Centre to ensure that such incidents of violence do not recur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH