Assam: Security beefed up in Kokrajhar district
Guwahati: Security has been intensified in violence-hit Assam`s Chirang and Kokrajhar districts after fresh incidents of violence were reported in the last 24 hours.
Indefinite curfew continues in Chirang district since last evening after unidentified miscreants killed five persons. Curfew has been relaxed in Kokrajhar district for 17 hours from 4 am to 9 pm.
Assam Police and paramilitary forces launched a massive operation to nab the culprits.
State Home Secretary GD Tripathi said that two senior police officials have been deployed to monitor the situation in Chirang district. Eighty additional companies of Central Para-military forces have also been deployed. Fifteen columns of Army continued flag march to maintain peace.
Violent clashes erupted in Assam in July after unidentified men killed four Bodo youths. In retaliation, armed Bodos - who dominate Kokrajhar and Chirang districts - attacked minority groups, suspecting them of being behind the deaths.
At least 94 people have lost their lives in recent violence and another 75 people sustained injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic