Assam: Security beefed up in Kokrajhar district
Guwahati: Security has been intensified in violence-hit Assam`s Chirang and Kokrajhar districts after fresh incidents of violence were reported in the last 24 hours.
Indefinite curfew continues in Chirang district since last evening after unidentified miscreants killed five persons. Curfew has been relaxed in Kokrajhar district for 17 hours from 4 am to 9 pm.
Assam Police and paramilitary forces launched a massive operation to nab the culprits.
State Home Secretary GD Tripathi said that two senior police officials have been deployed to monitor the situation in Chirang district. Eighty additional companies of Central Para-military forces have also been deployed. Fifteen columns of Army continued flag march to maintain peace.
Violent clashes erupted in Assam in July after unidentified men killed four Bodo youths. In retaliation, armed Bodos - who dominate Kokrajhar and Chirang districts - attacked minority groups, suspecting them of being behind the deaths.
At least 94 people have lost their lives in recent violence and another 75 people sustained injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS
- Salman Khan plans a special birthday party for alleged girlfriend Iulia Vantur? - Know more
- Major water crisis in Chandigarh, Mohali and Panchkula - Know reason behind it