Assam: Security beefed up in Kokrajhar district
Guwahati: Security has been intensified in violence-hit Assam`s Chirang and Kokrajhar districts after fresh incidents of violence were reported in the last 24 hours.
Indefinite curfew continues in Chirang district since last evening after unidentified miscreants killed five persons. Curfew has been relaxed in Kokrajhar district for 17 hours from 4 am to 9 pm.
Assam Police and paramilitary forces launched a massive operation to nab the culprits.
State Home Secretary GD Tripathi said that two senior police officials have been deployed to monitor the situation in Chirang district. Eighty additional companies of Central Para-military forces have also been deployed. Fifteen columns of Army continued flag march to maintain peace.
Violent clashes erupted in Assam in July after unidentified men killed four Bodo youths. In retaliation, armed Bodos - who dominate Kokrajhar and Chirang districts - attacked minority groups, suspecting them of being behind the deaths.
At least 94 people have lost their lives in recent violence and another 75 people sustained injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'