Assam: Security beefed up in Kokrajhar district
Guwahati: Security has been intensified in violence-hit Assam`s Chirang and Kokrajhar districts after fresh incidents of violence were reported in the last 24 hours.
Indefinite curfew continues in Chirang district since last evening after unidentified miscreants killed five persons. Curfew has been relaxed in Kokrajhar district for 17 hours from 4 am to 9 pm.
Assam Police and paramilitary forces launched a massive operation to nab the culprits.
State Home Secretary GD Tripathi said that two senior police officials have been deployed to monitor the situation in Chirang district. Eighty additional companies of Central Para-military forces have also been deployed. Fifteen columns of Army continued flag march to maintain peace.
Violent clashes erupted in Assam in July after unidentified men killed four Bodo youths. In retaliation, armed Bodos - who dominate Kokrajhar and Chirang districts - attacked minority groups, suspecting them of being behind the deaths.
At least 94 people have lost their lives in recent violence and another 75 people sustained injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- One killed, 30 wounded by explosions in southern Thailand – police
- Iraq summons its envoy to Portugal over teenager assault
- Cara Delevingne, Amber Heard turned away from strip club
- Obama promises aid to help Louisiana fully recover from flooding
- US investigating non-travel Zika case in new area in Florida