Assam: Security beefed up in Kokrajhar district
Guwahati: Security has been intensified in violence-hit Assam`s Chirang and Kokrajhar districts after fresh incidents of violence were reported in the last 24 hours.
Indefinite curfew continues in Chirang district since last evening after unidentified miscreants killed five persons. Curfew has been relaxed in Kokrajhar district for 17 hours from 4 am to 9 pm.
Assam Police and paramilitary forces launched a massive operation to nab the culprits.
State Home Secretary GD Tripathi said that two senior police officials have been deployed to monitor the situation in Chirang district. Eighty additional companies of Central Para-military forces have also been deployed. Fifteen columns of Army continued flag march to maintain peace.
Violent clashes erupted in Assam in July after unidentified men killed four Bodo youths. In retaliation, armed Bodos - who dominate Kokrajhar and Chirang districts - attacked minority groups, suspecting them of being behind the deaths.
At least 94 people have lost their lives in recent violence and another 75 people sustained injuries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months