Assam: Situation calm; security beefed up for Eid
Guwahati: No fresh incident of violence was reported from any part of Assam where security has been beefed up on the occasion of Eid on Monday.
"There are no fresh incidents of violence. We are in constant touch will all the districts and Eid prayers have passed off peacefully," Assam IGP (Law & Order) L R Bishnoi told a news agency.
He said police and security forces have been deployed in all districts and regular reports have been received.
There are reports of Eid celebrations from districts, including Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri, which bore the brunt of the recent violence.
In Guwahati, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi called for peace and harmony in the state.
"Let us hope that this day of Eid will bring lasting peace and amity in the state. We will all have to work together and strive for peace," Gogoi said addressing people at the Machkhowa Idgah here.
He said relief and rehabilitation of the affected people is the biggest priority of the government.
The CM also said that an action plan to deal with such incidents of violence will be prepared by the state administration and police.
Meanwhile, two more special trains from Bangalore reached Guwahati this morning bringing around 2,000 passengers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH