Assam: Situation calm; security beefed up for Eid
Guwahati: No fresh incident of violence was reported from any part of Assam where security has been beefed up on the occasion of Eid on Monday.
"There are no fresh incidents of violence. We are in constant touch will all the districts and Eid prayers have passed off peacefully," Assam IGP (Law & Order) L R Bishnoi told a news agency.
He said police and security forces have been deployed in all districts and regular reports have been received.
There are reports of Eid celebrations from districts, including Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri, which bore the brunt of the recent violence.
In Guwahati, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi called for peace and harmony in the state.
"Let us hope that this day of Eid will bring lasting peace and amity in the state. We will all have to work together and strive for peace," Gogoi said addressing people at the Machkhowa Idgah here.
He said relief and rehabilitation of the affected people is the biggest priority of the government.
The CM also said that an action plan to deal with such incidents of violence will be prepared by the state administration and police.
Meanwhile, two more special trains from Bangalore reached Guwahati this morning bringing around 2,000 passengers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir