Assam soil erosion recognised as natural disaster
Guwahati: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has said Assam`s erosion problem will be included in the list of the country`s natural disasters, a move that will enable the state government to spend central relief funds (CRF) to tackle the issue.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said on Tuesday that the move will also enable the state to receive more central funds to tackle the problem and also extend financial help to people affected by erosion.
"The Prime Minister during his meeting with the state Cabinet at the airport near Guwahati on Monday recognised the erosion problem of Assam. He assured the ministers that he will take steps to enlist erosion in the list of disasters," Gogoi said.
According to Gogoi, Manmohan Singh also said he will take up the matter with the Planning Commission so that more funds are allocated to the state to check the menace of erosion.
"Earlier, we were not able to extend financial assistance to the people affected by erosion, which was not included in the list of natural disasters," Gogoi said.
The state has lost about estimated 4.50 lakh hectares of land to erosion in the last few decades. The Assam government had also started a project to reclaim land.
The Prime Minister and Congress president Sonia Gandhi visited Assam on Monday and made an aerial survey of some flood-hit districts. An aid package of Rs 500 crore for the state was announced.
The floods, which have hit all 27 districts and affected 21 lakh people, have caused the deaths of about 65 people, and inundation of large stretches of land, including crop land.
"An early warning system is a must to help the people. It also helps in rescue and relief operations. We have also requested the central government to set up a regional office of the Central Water Commission in Assam, which would also help the state in dealing with flood situations," the Chief Minister said.
Gogoi also appealed to the Arunachal Pradesh government to reconsider the issue of setting up a North East Water Regulatory Authority (NEWRA). "The formation of NEWRA will help all the northeastern states, including Arunachal Pradesh."
The formation of NEWRA has been delayed as Arunachal Pradesh has been opposing it, apprehending that formation of such a regional water regulatory body will deprive the state of its hydro power potential.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm