Assam tea world famous, not NaMo Chai: Gogoi
Guwahati: Taking a dig at `NaMo Chai`, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday said branding tea in the name of BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi was an insult to world famous Assam tea and the people of the state.
"Modi tea is an insult to the world famous Assam tea. It is an insult to Assam. It is an insult to the people of Assam," he told a press conference here.
Gogoi said Assam tea was known for its flavour and variety, but not `Modi tea`.
As part of its poll campaign, BJP was trying to cash in on Modi`s tea seller background by serving tea as `NaMo Chai` at various poll-related functions.
The move had attracted the ire of the Uttar Pradesh Election Commission which objected to the party serving free tea to influence voters and also taken note of Modi`s `Chai pe Charcha` programme.
Gogoi also alleged that Modi was communal and BJP was responsible for demolition of Babri Masjid.
"He (Modi) is also trying to divide the Barak Valley from Brahmaputra Valley...He doesn`t have trust in democracy. He is spreading hatred," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what