Assam to bring new Lokayukta Bill in next Assembly session
Guwahati: The Assam government today said it will introduce a new Lokayukta Bill in line with the central legislation during the next Assembly session.
Presenting Assam`s interim Budget for 2014-15, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said, "I propose to introduce a fresh Bill, called the Assam Lokayukta Bill 2014, in the next session of the Assembly so as to strengthen the institution of Lokayukta by giving it more powers."
The draft Bill is at the final stage of consultation with various departments as per procedure, he said.
Assam currently has a Lokayukta under the Assam Lokayukta and Upa-Lokayukta Act 1985 and the new legislation will repeal this.
"The proposed new Lokayukta Institution will be empowered to enquire into and investigate the allegations of corruption against various public functionaries under the Prevention of Corruption Act 1988. The existing Lokayukta has no such powers," Gogoi, who is also the state finance minister, said.
The new Bill is in conformity with the central Lokpal and Lokayukta Act 2013, he said.
As per the draft Bill, the current and former Chief Ministers, existing and formers ministers, and current and former MLAs will come under the purview of the Act.
Besides, all government employees of all grades, staff of companies, societies or trusts that are set up, financed or controlled by the state government will come under the new Act, Gogoi said.
"The new legislation will provide a more comprehensive and effective framework for prompt and fair investigation and prosecution of cases of corruption under the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’