Assam to institute judicial inquiry to probe `encounter`
Guwahati: The Assam government will order a judicial inquiry to investigate the police claim of an `encounter` in Chirang district on December 11 in which two boys were killed and another was injured, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said on Saturday.
"We have decided to go for a judicial inquiry into the police claim. If it is found to be a `fake encounter` then action will be taken against the guilty," Gogoi said. "We have taken the matter very seriously. We will not allow innocent people to be killed."
Two teenage boys, whom the police claimed to be insurgents belonging to NDFB (Songbijit), were killed and another was critically injured in an encounter with a joint team of Army and police at Raidwongbari sparking a public outcry and attack on a police station.
According to the police, the three alleged militants hurled a grenade at the joint security team which retaliated killing two of them on the spot.
The police claimed to have recovered an AK-47, one magazine and a grenade from the slain boys.
The victims were identified as Jiri Narzary (14) and Pranjit Narzary (13), and the injured was identified as Nikotibe Narzary (14).
Locals claimed that the three boys, who were cousins, were innocent and that they were fired upon when they were sleeping on a haystack in the compound of their house.
Enraged with the incident, a mob had gheraoed Runikhata police station and pelted stones damaging windowpanes and office property, besides setting ablaze five police bikes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Landslides close Jammu-Srinagar highway; Amarnath Yatra suspended
- Italian leaders vow to prevent terrorist attacks
- UN chief voices concern over Turkey situation
- Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will commence at this breathtaking location – See pic
- WATCH: How Sri Lanka's mystery spinner Lakshan Sandakan left Australia spellbound