Assam to institute judicial inquiry to probe `encounter`
Guwahati: The Assam government will order a judicial inquiry to investigate the police claim of an `encounter` in Chirang district on December 11 in which two boys were killed and another was injured, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said on Saturday.
"We have decided to go for a judicial inquiry into the police claim. If it is found to be a `fake encounter` then action will be taken against the guilty," Gogoi said. "We have taken the matter very seriously. We will not allow innocent people to be killed."
Two teenage boys, whom the police claimed to be insurgents belonging to NDFB (Songbijit), were killed and another was critically injured in an encounter with a joint team of Army and police at Raidwongbari sparking a public outcry and attack on a police station.
According to the police, the three alleged militants hurled a grenade at the joint security team which retaliated killing two of them on the spot.
The police claimed to have recovered an AK-47, one magazine and a grenade from the slain boys.
The victims were identified as Jiri Narzary (14) and Pranjit Narzary (13), and the injured was identified as Nikotibe Narzary (14).
Locals claimed that the three boys, who were cousins, were innocent and that they were fired upon when they were sleeping on a haystack in the compound of their house.
Enraged with the incident, a mob had gheraoed Runikhata police station and pelted stones damaging windowpanes and office property, besides setting ablaze five police bikes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert