Assam to reclaim land lost in erosion
Guwahati: The Assam government is launching a mega project to reclaim the land the state has lost over the years due to erosion.
A pilot project to reclaim the eroded land will start in Sualkuchi, Assam`s silk town near here, said Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Wednesday.
"This will be a first of its kind project. We have been making efforts to stop erosion but now we are going to make efforts to reclaim the land we have lost in the past several years," Gogoi said.
"We are expecting the pilot project to be implemented within six months. If the project is successful, we are going to implement the same technology all over the state," he said.
Land erosion has also created economic problem, with farmers suffering loses every year, the chief minister said.
The land reclamation project will be implemented with the help of Asian Development Bank.
Data shows that Assam has lost 4.27 lakh hectares due to erosion in various districts. The state has about 4,463 km of embankments and 70 percent of them are in a bad shape.
The government has also constituted an expert working group to study the Brahmaputra river across its length in the state. The group will also visit Bangladesh to study the river.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant