Assam Tribune Chairman passes away
Guwahati: Tulsi Govinda Baruah, Chairman of the Assam Tribune Group of newspapers, passed away at his residence in Guwahati on Saturday.
Baruah died of old age ailments, his family said. Baruah, who was 87, leaves behind his wife, two sons and a daughter.
Baruah, who was the Chairman of the Assam Tribune Group since 1985, passed way at around 12.45 pm. His body was cremated at the Nabagraha cremation groud later in the afternoon.
Among the group`s publications are The Assam Tribune, the highest circulating English daily in Assam, the Assamese daily `Dainik Asom` and the Assamese weekly paper `Asom Bani`, among others.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi condoled the death of Baruah. Gogoi said that Baruah`s contribution to the growth of journalism in the state would be remembered for generations to come.
"Inheriting a rich legacy from his illustrious father R G Baruah, Tulsi Govinda Baruah took the Assam Tribune Group to a new height through his administrative acumen and dexterity," Gogoi said.
State Congress President Bhubaneshwar Kalita and Asom Gana Parishad chief Prafulla Kumar Mahanta also expressed their grief.
Baruah`s father had founded the group in the 1930s. Baruah`s son Surajit Govinda Baruah is the director of Assam Tribune Group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery