Assam: ULFA bomb expert held
Guwahati: A bomb expert of the banned ULFA
was arrested and a powerful IED recovered in different
incidents on the outfit`s `Army Day` on Friday, police said.
ULFA bomb expert Tapan Phukan alias Bhabani Khaklary,
trained in Myanmar, was arrested from Solmari village in
A powerful IED, weighing more than one and a half kg,
was recovered during a joint operation by the police and army
in Teestapara area in Dhubri district.
Meanwhile, security was tightened throughout the state
following a directive by the union home ministry on ULFA`s
`Army Day` today.
DGP Jayanta Narayan Choudhury said that three districts --
Tinsukia, Dibrugarh and Sibsagar -- were areas of concern and
put on maximum alert while Goalpara and Dhubri districts were
He said several youths had been picked up and police
pickets posted in vulnerable districts.
The outfit observes `Army Day` on the raising of its
armed wing in 1979 under `commander-in-chief` Paresh Barua who
now heads the anti-talk faction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred