Assam: ULFA bomb expert held
Guwahati: A bomb expert of the banned ULFA
was arrested and a powerful IED recovered in different
incidents on the outfit`s `Army Day` on Friday, police said.
ULFA bomb expert Tapan Phukan alias Bhabani Khaklary,
trained in Myanmar, was arrested from Solmari village in
A powerful IED, weighing more than one and a half kg,
was recovered during a joint operation by the police and army
in Teestapara area in Dhubri district.
Meanwhile, security was tightened throughout the state
following a directive by the union home ministry on ULFA`s
`Army Day` today.
DGP Jayanta Narayan Choudhury said that three districts --
Tinsukia, Dibrugarh and Sibsagar -- were areas of concern and
put on maximum alert while Goalpara and Dhubri districts were
He said several youths had been picked up and police
pickets posted in vulnerable districts.
The outfit observes `Army Day` on the raising of its
armed wing in 1979 under `commander-in-chief` Paresh Barua who
now heads the anti-talk faction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state