`Assam violence an ethnic clash, not communal`
Guwahati: Refuting allegations against its chief Badruddin Ajmal of being involved in communal politics, the All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF) today said the current violence is a case of ethnic conflict.
"The allegations and charges made against our party chairman (Ajmal) are unfortunate. He never made any communal statement," AIUDF general secretary Aditya Langthasa told reporters here.
"Ajmal never said that the current violence is communal or between two religious groups. Rather, he has always maintained that this is a case of ethnic conflict and we believe it is an ethnic clash," he added.
Many organisations, including the All Assam Students` Union and the Bodo Women Justice Forum had in recent days charged Ajmal with communalising the situation and indirectly forcing exodus of students and professionals of northeast from states like Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.
"Ajmal is the Lok Sabha MP from Dhubri and most of the displaced persons of the clashes have taken shelter in his constituency. From day one, he has been busy organising relief for the victims," Langthasa said.
"The CBI has already started investigation in seven cases and the state government has ordered a judicial inquiry into the violence. We think everybody should wait for the results of the investigation to come rather then get involved in allegations and counter-allegations," he said.
The AIUDF leader also termed the Rs 300 crore central assistance for the violence-affected people as too less and demanded additional help.
"The facilities in the camp are totally inadequate, including medical facilities," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi