Assam violence: BJP attacks Tarun Gogoi-led govt
Guwahati: The BJP on Thursday accused the Tarun Gogoi-led Assam government of not taking timely steps to contain the conflict in violence-hit districts of lower Assam.
"If proper steps had been taken in time, the situation would not have worsened... Even the Congress` alliance partner Bodoland People`s Front have blamed the government of not acting on time," BJP national general secretary Vijay Goel said here.
He also accused the state government of not taking steps to properly investigate the incident on July 6 when two student leaders were shot and injured by unidentified gunmen at Anthihara village in Kokrajhar district.
The violence in Kokrajhar and neighbouring districts is suspected to have been triggered by the shooting incident, after which four former members of the defunct Bodoland Liberation Tigers were hacked to death at Joypur village on July 20.
"At the relief camps, we were told by people that illegal immigrants are responsible for the current events. We urge the government to immediately detain and deport such immigrants. If such people are not deported, this kind of problem would continue" the BJP leader said here.
"Local people in the affected areas have alleged that arms are being smuggled from neigbouring countries," Goel said adding "the government should immediately investigate the matter".
He also termed the facilities provided at the relief camp to displaced people as inadequate.
"We also demand that at least Rs 5 lakh should be provided to the next of kin of those who have died in the violence," Goel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'