Assam violence: BJP attacks Tarun Gogoi-led govt
Guwahati: The BJP on Thursday accused the Tarun Gogoi-led Assam government of not taking timely steps to contain the conflict in violence-hit districts of lower Assam.
"If proper steps had been taken in time, the situation would not have worsened... Even the Congress` alliance partner Bodoland People`s Front have blamed the government of not acting on time," BJP national general secretary Vijay Goel said here.
He also accused the state government of not taking steps to properly investigate the incident on July 6 when two student leaders were shot and injured by unidentified gunmen at Anthihara village in Kokrajhar district.
The violence in Kokrajhar and neighbouring districts is suspected to have been triggered by the shooting incident, after which four former members of the defunct Bodoland Liberation Tigers were hacked to death at Joypur village on July 20.
"At the relief camps, we were told by people that illegal immigrants are responsible for the current events. We urge the government to immediately detain and deport such immigrants. If such people are not deported, this kind of problem would continue" the BJP leader said here.
"Local people in the affected areas have alleged that arms are being smuggled from neigbouring countries," Goel said adding "the government should immediately investigate the matter".
He also termed the facilities provided at the relief camp to displaced people as inadequate.
"We also demand that at least Rs 5 lakh should be provided to the next of kin of those who have died in the violence," Goel said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant