Assam violence: CBI to take up seven cases
Guwahati: CBI will investigate seven cases related to ethnic violence in parts of lower Assam.
"CBI will hear preliminary investigation of seven cases related to the violence. Of them four cases are from Kokrajhar, two from Chirang and one from Dhubri," Assam IGP (Law & Order) L R Bishnoi said on Saturday.
The decision was taken after a visit to the violence-hit areas by a two-member CBI team comprising its Special Director K Saleem Ali and Deputy Inspector General Satish Golcha yesterday.
The team met senior administration and police officials, including Chief Secretary N K Das and Director General of Police J N Choudhury to discuss the different issues related to the violence between Bodos and immigrant minority.
They collected details related to the violence and examined 300 cases registered so far in connection with it.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had announced on August 7 that his government had recommended the CBI probe to the Centre as both internal and external forces were behind the violence that began on July 19-20.
Meanwhile, no fresh incidents of violence had been reported from the trouble-torn districts during the past 12 hours. Night curfew continues in Dhubri and BTAD`s Kokrajhar, Chirang.
A total of 77 people have so far lost their lives in the ethnic clashes, while over four lakh people have been displaced. The state government has claimed that around one lakh of the displaced persons have returned to their homes in recent days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- NIA reveals why ISIS bigger threat to India than Pakistani terrorists - Read details
- How to prevent obesity, eating disorders in teenagers
- Flood situation in Bihar under control: CM Nitish Kumar
- Teenaged Dalit girl gang-raped in UP's Aligarh
- Stem Cell treatment is effective in recovery of spinal injuries