Assam violence: CBI to take up seven cases
Guwahati: CBI will investigate seven cases related to ethnic violence in parts of lower Assam.
"CBI will hear preliminary investigation of seven cases related to the violence. Of them four cases are from Kokrajhar, two from Chirang and one from Dhubri," Assam IGP (Law & Order) L R Bishnoi said on Saturday.
The decision was taken after a visit to the violence-hit areas by a two-member CBI team comprising its Special Director K Saleem Ali and Deputy Inspector General Satish Golcha yesterday.
The team met senior administration and police officials, including Chief Secretary N K Das and Director General of Police J N Choudhury to discuss the different issues related to the violence between Bodos and immigrant minority.
They collected details related to the violence and examined 300 cases registered so far in connection with it.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had announced on August 7 that his government had recommended the CBI probe to the Centre as both internal and external forces were behind the violence that began on July 19-20.
Meanwhile, no fresh incidents of violence had been reported from the trouble-torn districts during the past 12 hours. Night curfew continues in Dhubri and BTAD`s Kokrajhar, Chirang.
A total of 77 people have so far lost their lives in the ethnic clashes, while over four lakh people have been displaced. The state government has claimed that around one lakh of the displaced persons have returned to their homes in recent days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum