Assam violence: ‘Conflict because of influx of illegal migrants’
Kokrajhar: BJP on Wednesday alleged illegal immigration from Bangladesh was responsible for ethnic and communal discord in Assam and asked the government to seal the border with the neighbouring country.
"The main reason for current situation is due to rampant illegal immigration... There have been reports of such migration to Bodoland area also. If migrants gain upper hand, locals would be apprehensive and agitate," BJP national General Secretary Vijay Goel told reporters here.
Goel, who is here leading a delegation of party leaders which will visit the disturbed areas, demanded immediate steps to prevent entry of illegal migrants.
"The government should seal the border with Bangladesh. Besides, it should also take up work for immediately updating the National Register of Citizens (NCR) to detect and deport illegal immigrants," Goel said.
He accused the state government of failing to take preventive actions.
"The situation would not have deteriorated to this extent if the state government had taken prompt action and sent additional forces on time to the disturbed areas," Goel said.
The BJP leader asked the central government to intervene in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Bodoland groups to relaunch statehood agitation next week
- Claudio Bravo joins Manchester City as Joe Hart`s replacement
- Flood situation remains grim in Bihar, eases in Madhya Pradesh
- Don't let India use your soil against us, Pakistan tells Afghanistan
- Congress rushes in defence of 'sidelined' AAP Punjab convener