Assam violence: ‘Conflict because of influx of illegal migrants’
Kokrajhar: BJP on Wednesday alleged illegal immigration from Bangladesh was responsible for ethnic and communal discord in Assam and asked the government to seal the border with the neighbouring country.
"The main reason for current situation is due to rampant illegal immigration... There have been reports of such migration to Bodoland area also. If migrants gain upper hand, locals would be apprehensive and agitate," BJP national General Secretary Vijay Goel told reporters here.
Goel, who is here leading a delegation of party leaders which will visit the disturbed areas, demanded immediate steps to prevent entry of illegal migrants.
"The government should seal the border with Bangladesh. Besides, it should also take up work for immediately updating the National Register of Citizens (NCR) to detect and deport illegal immigrants," Goel said.
He accused the state government of failing to take preventive actions.
"The situation would not have deteriorated to this extent if the state government had taken prompt action and sent additional forces on time to the disturbed areas," Goel said.
The BJP leader asked the central government to intervene in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi