Assam violence: ‘Conflict because of influx of illegal migrants’
Kokrajhar: BJP on Wednesday alleged illegal immigration from Bangladesh was responsible for ethnic and communal discord in Assam and asked the government to seal the border with the neighbouring country.
"The main reason for current situation is due to rampant illegal immigration... There have been reports of such migration to Bodoland area also. If migrants gain upper hand, locals would be apprehensive and agitate," BJP national General Secretary Vijay Goel told reporters here.
Goel, who is here leading a delegation of party leaders which will visit the disturbed areas, demanded immediate steps to prevent entry of illegal migrants.
"The government should seal the border with Bangladesh. Besides, it should also take up work for immediately updating the National Register of Citizens (NCR) to detect and deport illegal immigrants," Goel said.
He accused the state government of failing to take preventive actions.
"The situation would not have deteriorated to this extent if the state government had taken prompt action and sent additional forces on time to the disturbed areas," Goel said.
The BJP leader asked the central government to intervene in the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition
- Facebook CEO says group will not become a media company
- Some 6,500 migrants rescued off Libya: Coastguard