Assam: Violence continues; Gogoi warns of ‘firing at anyone’
Guwahati: As violence continued to rock lower Assam where two persons were injured in a fresh attack in Kokrajhar on Sunday, the state’s Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi reportedly warned that the administration will open fire at anyone who resorts to arson and violence.
Six persons, inmates of a relief camp, died in an attack at Amguri Bazar in Chirang district last night taking the death toll in the month-long mayhem to 86, police said.
State IGP (law and order) LR Bishnoi told a news agency that unidentified persons attacked and left injured two persons near Salakati Railway Station in Kokrajhar at around 4 AM.
The injured have been admitted to the Bongaigaon civil hospital.
On Saturday, five bodies were recovered from a paddy field in Choudhuripara near Mangolian Bazar in the district.
Inspector General of Police (Bodoland Territorial Areas District) SN Singh said that the bodies were recovered after local residents informed police. The deceased were yet to be identified, he said.
"Suspected miscreants must have killed the five people during the day and hidden their bodies in a paddy field in the area," he said.
Communal violence erupted between the dominant Bodos and Bengali-speaking Muslim settlers in Assam on July 19 at Kokrajhar district. The violence soon spread to contiguous Chirang and Dhubri districts killing close to 80 people and displaced over four lakh people in the three districts.
Night curfew is continuing in the troubled districts of Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri. Army presence in the areas is continuing.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing