Assam: Violence continues; Gogoi warns of ‘firing at anyone’
Guwahati: As violence continued to rock lower Assam where two persons were injured in a fresh attack in Kokrajhar on Sunday, the state’s Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi reportedly warned that the administration will open fire at anyone who resorts to arson and violence.
Six persons, inmates of a relief camp, died in an attack at Amguri Bazar in Chirang district last night taking the death toll in the month-long mayhem to 86, police said.
State IGP (law and order) LR Bishnoi told a news agency that unidentified persons attacked and left injured two persons near Salakati Railway Station in Kokrajhar at around 4 AM.
The injured have been admitted to the Bongaigaon civil hospital.
On Saturday, five bodies were recovered from a paddy field in Choudhuripara near Mangolian Bazar in the district.
Inspector General of Police (Bodoland Territorial Areas District) SN Singh said that the bodies were recovered after local residents informed police. The deceased were yet to be identified, he said.
"Suspected miscreants must have killed the five people during the day and hidden their bodies in a paddy field in the area," he said.
Communal violence erupted between the dominant Bodos and Bengali-speaking Muslim settlers in Assam on July 19 at Kokrajhar district. The violence soon spread to contiguous Chirang and Dhubri districts killing close to 80 people and displaced over four lakh people in the three districts.
Night curfew is continuing in the troubled districts of Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri. Army presence in the areas is continuing.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation