Assam violence: Gogoi recommends CBI probe, toll 73

Last Updated: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 - 23:32

Guwahati: Fresh incidences of violence were reported in lower Assam districts even as the government on Tuesday recommended a CBI probe into the ethnic clashes, which have left 73 dead.

In the worst-affected Kokrajhar district, three persons were killed and two others injured when some persons opened fire on a group of people at Ranibuli village late last night while one more body was found today in neighbouring Chirang district, IGP (Law and Order) L R Bishnoi said.

Indefinite curfew has been reimposed in Kokrajhar, while round-the-clock curfew continues in Chirang.

Army continued flag marches in the morning in Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri districts.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi told reporters here, "I have recommended a CBI probe into the incidents and now it is up to the Centre to take a final decision on instituting it."

As many as 73 people died in the clashes, he said.

The violence between Bodos and minorities has claimed 47 lives in worst-hit Kokrajhar district, 17 in Chirang, 4 in Dhubri besides 5 killed in police firing last month, officials said.

"Assam is like a volcano anything can happen any time... There are so many tribes and multiple culture which is unique in the country. Even (former union home minister) P Chidambaram has said that Assam is a very complex state," Gogoi said.

"We have taken steps to maintain peace...These kinds of things have being happening since long and sometimes there are such clashes. But we are taking steps to contain such violence," he said.

"Both external and internal forces are at work," Gogoi said without elaborating and hoped that the CBI probe would identify the forces behind the violence.

PTI



First Published: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 - 23:24

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus