Assam violence toll rises to 20, Army stages flag march
Goalpara/Guwahati: The Army on Wednesday staged flag march in areas hit by violence in Assam`s Goalpara district where shoot-at-sight orders were issued even as Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said he would recommend a CBI inquiry into the unrest in which the toll rose to 20.
One more death was reported from the Rakshashini area under Mornoi police station in the Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council (RHAC) limits where an indefinite curfew was on after violence broke out during panchayat elections yesterday, IGP (Law and Order) A Rout told a news agency.
Two houses were burnt in the Bhaluk Dubi area near Goalpara town tonight and two fire brigade personnel who went there with fire tenders to douse the flames received bullet injuries.
Rout said the circumstances under which the two fire brigade personnel were injured were not immediately known as investigations were on.
Earlier in the day, Gogoi told reporters that his government would ask for a CBI investigation and a judicial inquiry would look into lapses and shortcomings on the part of the administration.
"The CBI has investigating powers and it will look into issues like finding the culprits, while the judicial inquiry will cover shortcomings and lapses," he said.
Meanwhile, counting of votes for the panchayat polls in the district has been postponed from tomorrow till February 15 and the entire exercise now would be completed within one day, official sources said.
With the indefinite curfew continuing in Krishnai and Mornoi areas since yesterday, they said the movement of people by river and other water-bodies in the district between 3 pm and 7 am was banned by the district administration till further orders to prevent movement of miscreants.
The army deployed since yesterday was carrying out flag marches in the trouble-torn areas of Goalpara district, which is the nerve centre of the Rabha Hasong Joint Action Committee, who are opposed to panchayat polls, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org