Assam Women Commission team to probe gang-rape of bride
Guwahati: The Assam State Commission for Women has constituted a fact finding team to enquire into the alleged atrocities committed on a newly married women at Mayong in Morigaon district on August 15.
Taking up a suo motu case on August 30, the Commission formed a four-member team comprising Hiron Moni Phukan (In- charge, Morigaon), Bokul Ghosh (In-charge, Kamrup), Rajashri Baruah and Balika Lahon Pegu (members).
The team visited the spot on September 1 and met the victim and her family, a press release said here today.
The team also interacted with police personnel in charge of the case and recorded the statements of the three eye witnesses who found the victim after the incident and accompanied her to the Public Health Centre.
They also recorded statements of the doctor of the PHC and the nurse who first attended to the victim.
The team met Anjan Das, the accused who was arrested in connection with the incident, the release said.
The ASCW has sent a letter to Morigaon district Deputy Commissioner, requesting for free medical help and financial assistance to the victim, besides conducting a Magisterial enquiry immediately into the incident.
The bride was abducted and allegedly gang-raped by four men who abandoned her on the road from where she was rescued and saved.
According to state home department records, 12,857 cases of rape were filed between 2005 and May 2013 in Assam with police filing charge sheets in 8,151 cases and arresting 12,216 accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi