Assam Women Commission team to probe gang-rape of bride
Guwahati: The Assam State Commission for Women has constituted a fact finding team to enquire into the alleged atrocities committed on a newly married women at Mayong in Morigaon district on August 15.
Taking up a suo motu case on August 30, the Commission formed a four-member team comprising Hiron Moni Phukan (In- charge, Morigaon), Bokul Ghosh (In-charge, Kamrup), Rajashri Baruah and Balika Lahon Pegu (members).
The team visited the spot on September 1 and met the victim and her family, a press release said here today.
The team also interacted with police personnel in charge of the case and recorded the statements of the three eye witnesses who found the victim after the incident and accompanied her to the Public Health Centre.
They also recorded statements of the doctor of the PHC and the nurse who first attended to the victim.
The team met Anjan Das, the accused who was arrested in connection with the incident, the release said.
The ASCW has sent a letter to Morigaon district Deputy Commissioner, requesting for free medical help and financial assistance to the victim, besides conducting a Magisterial enquiry immediately into the incident.
The bride was abducted and allegedly gang-raped by four men who abandoned her on the road from where she was rescued and saved.
According to state home department records, 12,857 cases of rape were filed between 2005 and May 2013 in Assam with police filing charge sheets in 8,151 cases and arresting 12,216 accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!