Assam Women Commission team to probe gang-rape of bride
Guwahati: The Assam State Commission for Women has constituted a fact finding team to enquire into the alleged atrocities committed on a newly married women at Mayong in Morigaon district on August 15.
Taking up a suo motu case on August 30, the Commission formed a four-member team comprising Hiron Moni Phukan (In- charge, Morigaon), Bokul Ghosh (In-charge, Kamrup), Rajashri Baruah and Balika Lahon Pegu (members).
The team visited the spot on September 1 and met the victim and her family, a press release said here today.
The team also interacted with police personnel in charge of the case and recorded the statements of the three eye witnesses who found the victim after the incident and accompanied her to the Public Health Centre.
They also recorded statements of the doctor of the PHC and the nurse who first attended to the victim.
The team met Anjan Das, the accused who was arrested in connection with the incident, the release said.
The ASCW has sent a letter to Morigaon district Deputy Commissioner, requesting for free medical help and financial assistance to the victim, besides conducting a Magisterial enquiry immediately into the incident.
The bride was abducted and allegedly gang-raped by four men who abandoned her on the road from where she was rescued and saved.
According to state home department records, 12,857 cases of rape were filed between 2005 and May 2013 in Assam with police filing charge sheets in 8,151 cases and arresting 12,216 accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- On being No. 1 in Tests: We need to do a lot to maintain it, says Pakistan skipper Misbah-ul-Haq
- Reasons why you're having chest pain!
- Madhya Pradesh assembly to consider GST Bill today
- Rohith Vemula suicide case: Hyderabad V-C can't be held responsible, concludes HRD probe panel
- Saradha scam: ED summons P Chidambaram's wife Nalini