Assam won`t allow misunderstanding among people: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Saturday said the state will not allow anti-social elements to create misunderstandings among its people in the name of foreign nationals, religion, language or caste.
Speaking on the occasion of celebrating the second anniversary of his government`s third tenure, Gogoi said: "We will not allow the unwanted anti-social elements to create any misunderstanding. Some elements are trying to create problem here."
Assam has always been a peaceful state and it will continue to remain so, he added.
Gogoi also said the militancy issue affecting the state cannot be solved through arms and the government is working on to solve it through a democratic process.
"We want to eliminate poverty and unemployment. We also want to get rid of illiteracy. These are our prime objective," he added.
Yesterday, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had extended his best wishes to Gogoi and his ministerial colleagues on the successful completion of second year of the third consecutive term anniversary of the Congress government tomorrow.
The Prime Minister in a message had said Assam has seen all round progress and development during the third consecutive term of the Congress government.
Singh had also reaffirmed the commitment of the UPA government to work for peace and prosperity in Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda