Assam`s ethnic clashes: 1,327 families yet to be rehabilitated
Guwahati: The Assam government on Tuesday admitted that over 1,300 families, who were affected during the ethnic clashes in the Bodoland Territorial Area Districts (BTAD) in 2012, were yet to be rehabilitated.
In a written reply to the Assam Legislative Assembly, state revenue and disaster management minister Prithibi Majhi said that a total of 18,823 families lost their houses completely, while 999 houses were partially damaged.
"Till now, 1,327 families are yet to be rehabilitated. Necessary instructions have already been given to respective DCs to take steps to rehabilitate them," he said in reply to All Indian United Democratic Front`s Hafiz Bashir Ahmed`s query in the Assembly.
Of the completely affected families, 15,983 have received a financial assistance of Rs 22,700 from the state government along with three bundles of roof-shed (tin), while the Centre gave Rs 30,000 to each household from the Prime Minister`s relief fund, Majhi said.
The Central and state government gave Rs 20,000 separately to all of the 999 owners of partially damaged houses, he said.
Besides, 1,507 families whose houses were completely destroyed during the clashes were also provided with Rs 50,000, Majhi added.
Clashes between Bodos and Bengali-speaking Muslims in July-August 2012 had claimed 110 lives and displaced several lakh people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price