Assam`s Rabha areas still tense, toll rises to 21
Guwahati: Curfew was relaxed but tension prevailed in Rabha community areas in Assam`s Goalpara and Kamrup districts even as the toll in panchayat poll-related violence rose to 21 with the discovery of another body on Thursday, said officials.
There was no fresh violence since Wednesday evening except for one incident at Gobindapur area in Goalpara where some inmates of a relief camp attacked a delegation of the Congress, reaching there to take stock of the situation.
Congress leader and former MP Anowar Hussain and his security personnel received injuries during the attack, police said adding that the inmates also partially damaged the vehicle of the delegation. Hussain`s condition is, however, out of danger now.
"There had been no fresh incidents in last 24 hours and the situation is under control. Curfew had been relaxed in most of the violence affected areas except for areas under two police stations - Krishnai and Mornoi in Goalpara district," said Assam`s Home Secretary GD Tripathy.
He said that one more body was recovered during the day taking the death toll to 21.
The administration had set up 12 relief camps in Goalpara district and they are housing about 10,000 people, he added.
Violence broke out in Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council (RHAC) areas on Tuesday when the government tried to hold panchayat polls in the areas, despite stiff opposition from the Rabha community organisations, who had been demanding elections to the RHAC since a long time.
Security forces opened firing in a bid to save polling officials from being lynched by the angry mob, which led to more violence and damage to public property.
Tripathy confirmed that while 14 people were killed in firing by the police and security forces, the other seven were killed in attacks by the miscreants.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had on Wednesday admitted lapses on the part of the government for the violence in RHAC but termed it a "political conspiracy".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow