Ban AAMSU: Assam journalists
Guwahati: Protesting the attacks on journalists by AAMSU during a bandh sponsored by the outfit, scribes Saturday held demonstrations across Assam demanding ban on it and security to media persons.
Wearing black badges, journalists launched a sit-in at Dighalipukhuri Santi Uddyan here and held the All Assam Muslim Students Union leadership responsible for failing to control its supporters during the Assam bandh on August 28 last.
The scribes condemned the attacks on several media persons across the state and demanded that the government punish the culprits and declare AAMSU a banned organisation.
The security of journalists was under threat, they said, and demanded that the government take measures against it and maintain peace and tranquility among all sections of the people for social harmony.
Journalists who gathered from different parts of the state said AAMSU had tried to prevent them from reporting on the violence on the bandh day.
"We follow law, so should others. The administration should ensure that the AAMSU members and supporters also follow the law of the land," they said.
Meanwhile, media associations in Assam have decided to boycott all news related to AAMSU for three months to protest the attacks, which left several mediapersons injured.
They also appealed to editors of the print media and electronic news channels not to entertain any kind of news items or press releases of AAMSU leaders and members during the period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand