Bandh affects Kamrup district in Assam
Rangia: Normal life was disrupted in lower Assam`s Kamrup district today following a 96-hour Rabha-Hasong area bandh from 6 am called by the All Assam Non-Tribal Students Union.
No untoward incident has been reported so far.
Offices, banks, educational institutions, markets and shops remained closed in Boko, Chaygaon and Bamungaon areas of southern Kamrup falling in the Rabha-Hasong Autonomous Council areas, official sources said.
Vehicles also kept off the roads and on the National Highway 37 passing through the affected areas, the sources said.
Security arrangements have been intensified in the district with paramilitary forces and police patrolling the area with the army on standby to assist the district administration in any eventuality, they said.
The bandh was called to demand the exclusion of all non-Rabha villages from the Autonomous Council, for which a three-phase election between November 13 and 25 has been announced recently.
Opposing the election, violence had erupted in Goalpara district on October 20 with a school and three vehicles being burnt down, while a bandh was also called by the Garo National Council and 10 non-Rabha organisations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan