Bandh affects life in parts of Assam
Guwahati: Normal life was on Wednesday disrupted in several districts of Assam during the day long bandh called by the anti-talk faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA).
In the Brahmaputra Valley, the bandh affected life in the lower Assam districts of Bongaigaon, Nalbari, Goalpara, Kamrup Rural, Udalguri and Darrang, official sources said.
The bandh was total in the violence-hit districts of Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri.
However, it failed to evoke any response in three Barak Valley districts of Cachar, Karimganj and Hailakandi and also in the Dima Hasao hill district, the sources said.
Independence Day celebration was held without any hindrance in all the districts.
There was no report of any untoward incident from any part of the state.
Additional forces had been deployed in many areas to prevent subversive activities by militants.
While road transport was affected with operation of long distance public buses hit, they said, flights and trains operated normally.
In Guwahati, shops and business estabishments remained closed during the day. Traffic on the road was minimal even though some private vehicles were plying.
The anti-talk ULFA faction called the bandh terming August 15 as a "black day" for the people of Assam.
The outfit has been issuing bandh calls on this day for the last several years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed