Bandh affects life in parts of Assam
Guwahati: Normal life was on Wednesday disrupted in several districts of Assam during the day long bandh called by the anti-talk faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA).
In the Brahmaputra Valley, the bandh affected life in the lower Assam districts of Bongaigaon, Nalbari, Goalpara, Kamrup Rural, Udalguri and Darrang, official sources said.
The bandh was total in the violence-hit districts of Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri.
However, it failed to evoke any response in three Barak Valley districts of Cachar, Karimganj and Hailakandi and also in the Dima Hasao hill district, the sources said.
Independence Day celebration was held without any hindrance in all the districts.
There was no report of any untoward incident from any part of the state.
Additional forces had been deployed in many areas to prevent subversive activities by militants.
While road transport was affected with operation of long distance public buses hit, they said, flights and trains operated normally.
In Guwahati, shops and business estabishments remained closed during the day. Traffic on the road was minimal even though some private vehicles were plying.
The anti-talk ULFA faction called the bandh terming August 15 as a "black day" for the people of Assam.
The outfit has been issuing bandh calls on this day for the last several years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- NASA's Viking mission data to unfold Mars' mystery
- Kolkata: Boy found killed after party at Amit Chaudhuri's house, author denies knowing him
- 1 killed, dozen hurt in building collapse after cylinder blast
- 'Star Wars Episode VIII' officially wraps production
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 628—Pragya decides to fight back