Bandh affects life in parts of Assam
Guwahati: Normal life was on Wednesday disrupted in several districts of Assam during the day long bandh called by the anti-talk faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA).
In the Brahmaputra Valley, the bandh affected life in the lower Assam districts of Bongaigaon, Nalbari, Goalpara, Kamrup Rural, Udalguri and Darrang, official sources said.
The bandh was total in the violence-hit districts of Kokrajhar, Chirang and Dhubri.
However, it failed to evoke any response in three Barak Valley districts of Cachar, Karimganj and Hailakandi and also in the Dima Hasao hill district, the sources said.
Independence Day celebration was held without any hindrance in all the districts.
There was no report of any untoward incident from any part of the state.
Additional forces had been deployed in many areas to prevent subversive activities by militants.
While road transport was affected with operation of long distance public buses hit, they said, flights and trains operated normally.
In Guwahati, shops and business estabishments remained closed during the day. Traffic on the road was minimal even though some private vehicles were plying.
The anti-talk ULFA faction called the bandh terming August 15 as a "black day" for the people of Assam.
The outfit has been issuing bandh calls on this day for the last several years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow