Bandh by non-Bodo organizations in lower Assam
Nalbari (Assam): Life was hit in several lower Assam districts and stray incidents of violence were reported on the first day of the 36-hour state-wide bandh called by non Bodo organisations opposing the separate Bodoland agitation.
Police said a private vehicle was set ablaze by bandh supporters at Salbari in Baksa district during the bandh by Ana-Bodo Surakhay Samity (ABSS).
ABSS is a non-Bodo platform of 27 organisations in lower Assam fighting against the creation of a separate Bodoland carved out of Assam along the lines of Telangana.
Yesterday, different Bodo organisations had called a 12-hour rail blockade to press for their demand for a separate state which affected movement of trains across the state.
All Bodo Students Union (ABSU) had called for the rail blockade immediately after the announcement on Telangana.
Assam is in the grip of agitations for statehood to Kamtapur, Bodoland and Karbi Anglong.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?