Bandh by non-Bodo organizations in lower Assam
Nalbari (Assam): Life was hit in several lower Assam districts and stray incidents of violence were reported on the first day of the 36-hour state-wide bandh called by non Bodo organisations opposing the separate Bodoland agitation.
Police said a private vehicle was set ablaze by bandh supporters at Salbari in Baksa district during the bandh by Ana-Bodo Surakhay Samity (ABSS).
ABSS is a non-Bodo platform of 27 organisations in lower Assam fighting against the creation of a separate Bodoland carved out of Assam along the lines of Telangana.
Yesterday, different Bodo organisations had called a 12-hour rail blockade to press for their demand for a separate state which affected movement of trains across the state.
All Bodo Students Union (ABSU) had called for the rail blockade immediately after the announcement on Telangana.
Assam is in the grip of agitations for statehood to Kamtapur, Bodoland and Karbi Anglong.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees