Bandh by non-Bodo organizations in lower Assam
Nalbari (Assam): Life was hit in several lower Assam districts and stray incidents of violence were reported on the first day of the 36-hour state-wide bandh called by non Bodo organisations opposing the separate Bodoland agitation.
Police said a private vehicle was set ablaze by bandh supporters at Salbari in Baksa district during the bandh by Ana-Bodo Surakhay Samity (ABSS).
ABSS is a non-Bodo platform of 27 organisations in lower Assam fighting against the creation of a separate Bodoland carved out of Assam along the lines of Telangana.
Yesterday, different Bodo organisations had called a 12-hour rail blockade to press for their demand for a separate state which affected movement of trains across the state.
All Bodo Students Union (ABSU) had called for the rail blockade immediately after the announcement on Telangana.
Assam is in the grip of agitations for statehood to Kamtapur, Bodoland and Karbi Anglong.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre